Made from a Sainsbury's carrier bag

Pages

Friday, 20 April 2018

The veg experiment

Roots and shoots... free food

I have been experimenting with different veg to see if they will regrow.  I tried onions last year and they were a huge success. This year I am trying a couple of avocado stones, a mango stone,  the base plate of an iceberg lettuce and more onions.  I have simply cut the base plate  (root end) off the veg and sat them on a saucer of water.. Keep changing the water and give it a week or two.  The avocado stone I simply propped on a glass of water.. This took quite a while to start growing but is now flying away.  I have potted the other variety of avocado stone and also a mango stone. Both have started to push  out roots. The veg are going out into my border as soon as I have created a spot.  The fruit/veg stones are currently sitting in the sunshine but will need to come indoors if it gets cold.

Avocado root starting to grow. Instructions on You Tube

Onion shoot forming

Lettuce roots starting to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment